Monday, October 24, 2011

Our Favorite Beverage: Wine

We love wine. No other way around it, wine is delicious! Each sip fills the mouth with flavor and warmth, sweetness and spiciness. There's nothing like it, and we take every chance to have a glass.

I was able to go to the Hopland Passport Weekend in Ukiah, California this weekend, and I have so much to share!

I learned a few things at the start of our tour: when you swirl your stemware around and the wine starts to slowly come down the sides, those are called legs. The more obvious the legs, the higher the alcohol content. I did it with every wine... Felt very smart hehehe!
Different types of grapes produce different wines, and each year (called the vintage) can taste different, even if it's the same name. I found an '07 that I loved, but didn't like the '08 version much at all!

I tasted probably 40 different wines, and there were three that really stood out. A moscato and a zin, plus a regional wine that was way out of my budget. My goal was to find a red that I loved, and I'm happy to report that I found it! Fred's Red, from McNab winery. It has a hint of blackberries that just makes it so flavorful!

With wine, if you don't like your first glass, keep trying. You'll find "the one," and then will want to taste every wine in the world!

I'm definitely going back next year, and I'm taking Amanda with! Stay tuned to see the fantastic steak dinner that we'll be making to eat with the zin. Yum!

Cheers!
-Melanie

3 comments:

  1. lucky! i wanna start trying wines, but ive already tried too many that i dont like. guess im a skeptic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa, I am totally the same way! I have never found a red that I loved, but Mel assures me that I will like this one she picked out so I will let you know for sure!
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love wine and can't wait to be back in California to do some more wine tasting!! Your blog is awesome by the way, and thanks for the follow on Twitter. I will definitely be checking in from time to time! :)

    ReplyDelete